What is Data Governance?
When we talk about Data Governance we refer, above all, to a function of data management to guarantee the quality, integrity, security and usability of the data that was gathered by an organization. It must cover the entire life cycle of data.
These practices are configured as standards and are an intersection between privacy standards and internal company regulations.
What does data governance guarantee?
We ensure that the data
- Is correct
- Is up to date and consistent
- Is safe:
- Only allowed users have access to it
- Is auditable (log of accesses and changes)
- Its regulations are complied with
What is its purpose?
The main purpose of data governance is to improve trust in data. Reliable data is a necessary condition for using data in decision making.
What aspects are key to data governance?
There are three key aspects:
Metadata management, data quality, master data management
Data privacy, data security
Why is data governance becoming more important?
Traditionally, data governance was considered only as an IT function. However, given the scope of the digital revolution, big data and the different regulations that have been introduced in industries, make Data Governance a main axis when it comes to managing data properly.
What has changed?
There are seven events that forced us to implement Data Governance:
- A lot of data is generated
- An increase in the number of people working with data
- Increasingly advanced capture methods (data points)
- An unstructured data collection
- Increased use cases in data management
- New regulations and laws
- Ethical concern in the use of data
What are the top 10 actions for implementing Data Governance?
- Business Dictionary: Classes, Policies, and Use Cases
- Data classification and organization
- Data cataloguing and metadata management
- Data quality
- Traceability and lineage
- Privacy and encryption
- Persistence and deletion of data
- Data acquisition workflow
- IAM: Identity and Access Management
- User authorization and access management
What do you think about Data Governance?
If you want to contact us directly, send us a message.